Monday, August 10, 2009

How IVF Impacts My Body

Five Side Effects of IVF Treatment


While I am in in the official two week waiting zone, I thought I would share some of the side effects I have encountered during full blown IVF treatment:

1. Acne
2. Bloating
3. Constipation
4. Spotting
5. Sore Breasts

Without fail, my nose has become victim to acne. Apart from the lumps on my face, I get to look like Rudolph before Christmas time.

Immediately after egg collection, my stomach bloats. The bloating usually subsides after a few days but I have been known to bloat for up to 1 week afterwards. Annoying if you are planning on going out to any fancy outing.

This time around I managed to avoid the dreaded constipation. It can however be a problem. My advice - drink plenty of water because it helps in overcoming this problem.

Light bleeding is common after egg collection. Most times it goes away within 24 hours although this time it lasted for about 4 days. My advice is to have some panty liners on hand.

I touched on the topic of sore breasts a few days ago. All those hormones definitely have side effects. The bad news is that if you aren't pregnant it subsides just before you get your period. The good news is that maybe you might actually be pregnant. Just wait the full 14 days before pulling out your test strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment