Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Discriminatory IVF Laws

Police Record Checks for Parents Undergoing IVF


From September 2009, any couple wishing to undergo IVF treatment in Victoria Australia will now need to obtain a Police Record Check and a Child Protection Certificate.

As I sit here contemplating when I will be doing my next round of treatment, I am suddenly faced with the possibility that I need to apply for these various certificates before I can undergo treatment. Given I would like to start treatment again soon, I've decided I'd better get my butt into gear even if I disagree with this repulsive law.

What freaks me out the most however, is that legally, we now have to prove that we are going to be suitable parents. Amazing! I hope that careless driving charge I got when I had a car accident a few years ago ain't going to be held against me.

Actually, I think the aim of the law is stop potential pedophiles from having children. But seriously, putting preventative measures in place for the small minority of couples who undergo IVF ain't really going to solve the problem. Seriously, does anyone truly think that people who spend thousands of dollars on IVF and who experience the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with IVF are pedophiles.

Imagine the public uproar if laws throughout the world were changed so that all couples contemplating parenthood would have to prove that they were going to be suitable parents. Surely, this goes against natural human nature and civil liberty. I for one am opposed to these ridiculous laws that target a small minority of people rather than tackle the actual problem.

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating post. That is heavy. Hope that doesn't start here in the uk. NOt that i have a police record!

    ReplyDelete