Saturday, August 29, 2009

Crazy Lifestyle Questions

IVF Preconception Care


After several attempts at trying to get pregnant, you sometimes question yourself if there is anything you are or aren't doing right that is hampering your ability to conceive. Sometimes in doing that, you cause yourself unnecessary pain. It's called beating oneself up with negative thoughts about what you should or shouldn't have done. Thoughts like:

- Maybe if I drank a bit less alcohol
- Maybe if I quit smoking earlier than what I did
- Maybe if my diet was better
- Maybe I should have tried reflexology
- Maybe I shouldn't have drunk all those Coke Zero's
- Maybe I should drink less coffee or hot chocolate
- Maybe I am just too fat
- Maybe, I should try reflexology.

Although it's perfectly normal, all these maybes do your head in. I think I have already come a long way from where I was. For a start, I drink a lot less wine these days, I don't smoke anymore, I take folate, CoQ10, Vitamin C and fish oil tablets. I drink a lot more water these days and I rarely drink any soft drinks - diet or otherwise. I've also been exercising regularly for at least the past year or two. Seems to me that a lot of the things I used to enjoy I no longer do anymore.

The one thing I haven't changed is my diet. Actually I tell a lie - it has gotten worse. Since starting IVF, I have been getting progressively fatter and fatter - in fact my BMI has moved from the overweight category and just edged into the obese category!!! Whilst I don't think the hormone treatments have helped my cause, I've noticed that my food portion sizes have increased since I got married. My coffee intake has also increased significantly.

Given that the human body is a complex and finely tuned machine, I have decided to take up the challenge to improve my diet. I will continue to maintain the positive changes I have made in regards to quitting smoking and exercising regularly, but as of today no coffee, only herbal teas and healthy good food choices. I've been reading up on the topic and I think there is a lot of merit in alternative therapies and I think these can be highly successful for some people. Acupuncture is back on the agenda and I might even have a go at reflexology. Now I am not expecting change overnight. I know good preconception care starts about 3-4 months before trying to conceive but if I don't get pregnant within the next year, at least I'll know I have done everything in my power to get pregnant. And that my friends is the only thing that I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment