Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Officially Not A Paedophile

Police Record Check for Would Be Parents


It's official - my husband and I have passed our police record check and we can now start IVF.

The words on the National Police Certificate dated 4th September read "At the data of issue there are no disclosable court outcomes recorded." There are five interesting features about this report:

1. The report arrived within a week of being submitted - not the 10 week delay that I reported in a previous blog.

2. That the word "disclosable" is not even a word since it keeps coming up as an error in my spell checker.

3. That I paid $64 for two certificates that state "At the date of issue there are no disclosable court outcomes recorded." How insulting is that. The report offers the possibility that maybe in the future, I could be in court.

4. This report really it is only relevant for the past, not the future. I could go out tomorrow, commit a terrible crime and quite possibly continue undertaking IVF. No one would be any the wiser.

5. Any other couple who conceive naturally are not subject to getting checked out. Apart from this being discriminatory, it also is a breach of a normal human right which is to bear children.

No comments:

Post a Comment