Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cost of IVF

IVF Costs in Australia


I always thought of IVF as expensive and while I still think it is, it is less expensive than in other countries. For example, in the United States IVF can cost up to around US $12,000.

This is pretty expensive when compared to the cost that Australians pay for IVF. For example, at a leading clinic in Melbourne Australia, the latest cost that I paid for IVF was around $6,900 excluding hospital costs. The hospital costs were $1,900 bringing the total cost of the treatment to AUD$8,800 (US$7,700). That's a massive saving of over $4,000 for Australian IVF patients.

My upfront costs to the clinic were approximately $5,000 including medications. The difference in the cost is explained by the fact that the clinic and the health insurance fund does not charge the patient the full amount and waits to receive the rest of their payment via the government's Medicare system.

Fortunately, my private health insurance covered the hospital costs. I received $3,700 back from Medicare six weeks after egg collection as I had reached my *Medicare Safety Net* threshold. So my total out of pocket cycle cost was $1,300. Expensive yes, but not as expensive as some of my overseas readers who do not get any rebates back.

Interestingly, the Government has announced that they will be revisiting the limits on the Medicare Safety Net threshold for IVF and may cap IVF limits. Details of this are not fully known but what is clear, is that the cost of IVF will be going up.

For overseas readers who do not understand the health system in Australia, the Medicare Safety Net effectively means that I can claim money back from the government from this calendar year because I had already spent a fortune on IVF and was entitled to a rebate.

No comments:

Post a Comment